Noah Grace was the 33rd President of the United States of America, a former U.S. Senator from Montana, and Commander-in-Chief during the Chimeran War. Grace was noted for serving his third term in office and maintaining America's continuing policy of isolationism. Despite being notable for his confident and inspiring leadership, he is regarded as a controversial ruling figure by the American public due to his overt authoritarian hold over the United States and his ''do-more-harm-than-good'' policy. Grace died on December 25th, 1951 from a "suspicious and sudden illness", and was succeeded by Vice-President Harvey McCullen.
Noah Grace's background even after being investigated by his political party was unknown, but all that is known is that he hailed from the state of Montana and was able to become a Junior Senator in Congress. In 1938, Grace was politically motivated by isolationist Senator Robert Taft, who attempted and failed to gather a following against Franklin Roosevelt over America's navy buildup and relationship with the United European Defense.
By 1940, Noah Grace was elected as president on the Republican ticket after narrowly defeating Roosevelt through an aggressive campaign that ridiculed Roosevelt as a warmonger and criticized his apparent plans to include the USA in further world events. Grace was re-elected in 1944 which led to straw polls showing favorable support for another term in office. In response, the Democrats in Congress proposed to pass a Constitutional Amendment that meant a candidate could only be limited to two terms, after fearing that Grace was growing to be too powerful. However, the Democratic Party failed to gain support from the Republicans, who were quietly fearful of Grace, resulting in Grace entering his unprecedented third term in November 1948, but with America's lowest turnout of votes ever in 70 years.
Despite of his anti-war stance, Grace was made aware of the Chimera's existence when he was first elected into office and allowed the military buildup to continue while keeping America uninvolved from world affairs, prioritizing America's safety over the world. Britain's King Edward VIII once visited Grace in 1949 in trying convince him to reconsider in helping Europe against the Chimera.
After the outbreak of the Chimeran War, Grace and his administration executed a massive media blackout to prevent the American public from learning the Chimera's existence to prevent mass panic. The American public was only falsely informed of an "influenza" pandemic in Europe. As a result, Grace enforced an effective and long term anti-immigration policy which kept and forbid refugees from the afflicted countries that fell to the Chimera from coming into the United States. Despite upholding America's isolationism during the conflict, Grace did allow military supplies and aid to be given to the UED in response to the massive number of human deaths in Europe.
During this time Grace was opposed by the isolationist extremist organization, the Alliance for American Autonomy, who carried out an insurrection against his administration in response to America's intervention in the war and as well Grace's near-totalitarian rule over the country. In response, Grace began suppressing the AAA and other dissident groups.
In July 1951, Grace agreed to allow American military intervention in Chimera-controlled Britain in response to the British's exchange of a captured Chimeran Angel. However, the exchange was disrupted in disaster during Operation Deliverance and the Angel being later killed by Nathan Hale. Although American military forces were able to liberate Britain during the Battle of London. In late August, Grace faced the unexpected when nearly all of New England fell to a wave of Spire attacks, becoming America's first Gray Zones. As a result, the Grace administration revealed to the public of the Chimera's existence. Knowing that the inevitable assault on America was nigh, Grace approved for the construction of the Liberty Defense Perimeter.
Soldier! What is said here might be highly classified and could affect you, so be careful!
This article contains spoilers pertaining to the Resistance series. Read at your own risk!
By November 1951, having witness the entire American Upper Midwest fell under gray territory and fearing the inevitable downfall of his nation, Grace secretly consulted with members of his cabinet and revealed his 'optional' contingency plan to the Chimeran invasion known as Project Omega; in which it sought a possible negotiation with the Chimera through Daedalus to spare the United States, while allowing the Chimera to occupy the rest of the world. Many of Grace's cabinet members highly approved of the contingency plan, with only the exceptions of Secretary of War Henry Walker and Vice President Harvey McCullen; the latter very grudgingly accepted the proposal.
Grace's contingency plan was soon put into jeopardy when Walker disappeared with his wife from Washington, D.C. and with intentions of exposing the conspiracy to the public. Grace immediately labeled Walker a traitor and declared an official manhunt for him, either dead or alive. Grace assigned his Chief of Staff William Dentweiler to secure Walker's capture and/or death.
On November 27th, Grace made a brief speech at a public news conference in front of the renovated Lincoln Memorial. In the ten minute speech, Grace confidently reassured the public that the war against the Chimera was going well for the U.S. But shortly afterwards, Grace was incredibly close to being killed when a Chimeran Spire missile landed near the monument and released hundreds of Spinners. The attack on Washington forced Grace and his seat of government to be relocated to Denver.
In mid-December, Grace was briefed on the successful capture of Daedalus and he opportunistically called for a "Victory Tour" in the American heartland, believing that the tour would bring high morale to the American public. Grace began his Victory Tour in Denver and was preparing a speech in front of the city's capitol building. During which Grace was saved from an assassin through the actions of Nathan Hale. Grace awarded his savior by allowing Hale to be the commander of a Sentinel contingent as part of the President's security staff.
On December 24th, under the guise of his Victory Tour, Grace traveled to Sheridan, Wyoming to negotiate with an imprisoned Daedalus. Grace declared his offerings to Daedalus, who was left unimpressed and had no intentions of honoring it. Soon after Grace made his offer, the President was immediately confronted and executed by Hale (who was informed of Project Omega's existence through the then deceased Henry Walker's recordings of Grace's cabinet meetings) for his planned betrayal of humankind via a gunshot to the head. Daedalus soon quickly escaped from his captivity.
Grace's death was hastily covered up by the government, and his cause of death is declared to the public as that of a "sudden illness". Harvey McCullen soon succeeded his predecessor and gradually proceeded to reverse Grace's policies and allowing America to take a more active role in the war.
Noah Grace was noted by the public as being charming and charismatic, which enabled him to become President in 1940. In truth, Grace was ruthless, ambitious, and domineering. He justified his actions as being for the good of the American people, despite the fact that his judgment did more harm than good during the Chimeran War. He even haughtily defended his unprecedented third term as being the choice of the people in spite of the lowest voting turnout after 1948, and contemptuously viewed his detractors such as the Alliance for American Autonomy to be either traitors, anarchists, or "whackos". Grace firmly believed that "law and order" with government control is the only path to America's "freedom" and exerts that "unlawful" acts, such as freedom of speech through the people's right to protest their government, violates the nation's "safety".
Grace also exhibited great disdain for SRPA for being entirely independent from the other U.S. military branches (which are controlled by Grace's Administration), and because they take less direct orders from his administration.
During his tenure in office, Grace established a strict isolationist policy that lasted for more than a decade and implemented an anti-immigration policy on war refugees. He also suppressed public knowledge of the Chimera through censorship and propaganda such as his "Evening Conversations" radio addresses, thus violating American civil liberties for the sake of national security.
Critics of Grace's administration were forcibly silenced, leading to some of the American public to accurately perceive him to be a tyrant; ironically, this perception heavily contrast Grace's early, slandering criticisms on Roosevelt.
- "I've had a look at the president's current budget, and frankly, it scares me. War planes, bombs and supertanks? Americans are a peace-loving people, just trying to put food on the table. You can't feed your family with weapons and warfare."
- ―During a radio debate against President Roosevelt in the 1940 elections.[src]
- "Let it be known that American isolationism is not cowardice, but restraint."
- ―In his June 1944 speech regarding America's first development of a nuclear weapon.[[src]]
- "The people will choose their leader. They don't need Congress telling them how to go about it."
- ―In response to the Congressional effort to enforce a two-term presidency.[[src]]
- "I know the Secretary is accustomed to rough language- but I would appreciate a semblance of civility here in the White House. And, while I applaud the Secretary's love of liberty, I feel it necessary to remind him that our freedoms extend from the rule of law. Not protest, not chaos, but law. We will have order in this country-or we will have nothing at all."
- ―In response to Secretary of War Henry Walker's derision on Attorney General Homer Clowers's handling of civil liberties.[src]
- It is confirmed in Resistance: The Gathering Storm that Noah Grace was named after his Abrahamic namesake during his birth on a raining day. Noah himself considered his role similar to a prophet's, as he believed he is saving the American people from a "deluge" that is "far worse than the events described in the book of Genesis".
- Initially, it was not told which political party Grace represented as President, though much of his fiercely isolationist and overly patriotic views resemble that of the real-life America First group. It was later confirmed in SRPA file BU75207B1 that he is a registered Republican.
- Noah Grace's "Evening Conversation" radio broadcasts are much akin to Roosevelt's fireside chats.
- In Resistance 3, there are election posters of Noah Grace in Saint Louis and in the New York Subway.
- ^ Resistance: The Gathering Storm
- ^ BU75207B1
- ^ PA51184390
- ^ Intel 11
- ^ Resistance: The Gathering Storm, "...while I applaud the Secretary's love of liberty, I feel it necessary to remind him that our freedoms extend from the rule of law. Not protest, not chaos, but law. We will have order in this country-or we will have nothing at all.", p.49
- ^ Resistance: The Gathering Storm, "Like President Grace, Dentweiler was of the opinion that allowing SRPA to construct and maintain its own bases had been a mistake, even if the need for secrecy seemed to recommend it. Because now, as the war continued to drag on, the SRPA hierarchy was starting to show an independent streak...", p.205
- ^ Resistance: The Gathering Storm, p.79