Furies are present in almost every body of water deeper than a puddle; they will normally simply circle around. The strain are invincible and if Nathan Hale comes in contact with one, he is automatically killed, the Fury grabbing and biting him. In general they are used to render bodies of water as instant death traps, though sometimes the player is asked to quickly swim through Fury-infested water. When seeing water, it is advisable to search the area for Furies before trying to swim through it. Furies can also swim at a faster pace than normal to attack the player.
Prior to the events of the game, on July 4th, 1953, Furies were utilized in the defense of the New York Tower during SRPA's failed assault. However, as the Chimera began deploying the Terraformers, these Furies still in the lakes of Central Park were caught frozen in the water.
By 1957, it appears that the Chimera had begun phasing out the Fury strain, largely due to its terraforming proccess freezing rivers and lakes, rendering Furies unnecessary as remaining human communities hide underground and away from the sea.
- The Fury's name is derived from the Furies, or Erinyes from Greek mythology in which they are female deities of vengeance or supernatural personifications of the anger of the dead.
- Furies strongly resemble the giant fish in Ratchet & Clank (also developed by Insomniac) who also instantly kill the player if they should venture too long in the water.
- In Chicago, a Fury is briefly seen climbing onto a car before re-entering the water, resembling a seal. It is unclear to what extent these creatures can move around on land, though since they never attack the player while they are climbing on other cars, it is doubtful they are particularly effective there.
- Despite being impossible to kill in Resistance 2 (even with Pulse Cannon or LAARK fire) Nathan Hale easily kills a Fury in Resistance: The Gathering Storm with exploding Magnum rounds. This would indicate that Furies are (at least somewhat) vulnerable, and are only invincible as a gameplay mechanic to deny the player access through flooded areas.
- Furies were originally going to be able to crawl on the ground and attack you. Concept art shows them armed with what looks like Reaper Carbines.
Resistance: Burning Skies
- Furies are mentioned but never seen in Resistance: Burning Skies in the intel document "Strange Shellfish". The intel details a fisherman to his friend writing about how Thibodeaux caught a large "shellfish" that is about 7-8 feet long.
- There are also several photograph of Fury and all the other photograph of Kraken and Leviathan in the newspapers found in the Richard Gorrell's office in Ellis Island with words "DIFFERENT RACES?" before Ellie Martinez and Tom Riley retrieve the film and escape from SRPA Station Kali.