Soldier! What is said here might be highly classified and could affect you, so be careful!
This article contains spoilers pertaining to the Resistance series. Read at your own risk!
The Chrysalis is the final boss of Resistance: Retribution and also main antagonist of Retribution.
During the events of Operation Overstrike, Dr. Claude Bouchard had developed a serum that if injected, would have destroyed the entire Chimeran conversion process. However, he lacked a missing ingredient: a recently infected human's blood. To this end, he requested the help of his daughter Raine Bouchard, who agreed to be infected by the Chimera in Bonn, Germany. Having been rescued by James Grayson on the brink of death, Raine had quickly left Bonn and headed back to the Maquis Fortress in Luxembourg to allow her father to draw her blood.
Now having completed his research, Dr. Bouchard was killed when a Burrower threw him off the balcony. Despite this, Raine finished his work, collecting the virus sample. However, despite his best efforts, Dr. Bouchard was unable to cure his daughter of his infection, instead utilizing prototype versions of his samples in the hopes of at least slowing down Raine's infection.
Volunteering to deliver the sample to the Chrysalis Lair, Raine began falling under the influence of the Chimera. Prior to leaving, Raine had seduced and infected an imprisoned Grayson. Because of her infection, Raine was able to make it through the catacombs unharmed, as Chimeran and Cloven forces recognized her infected nature. As she reached the entrance to the lair, Roland Mallery - who had been following her since she departed the Maquis base at Reims, caught up to her. Realizing his infatuation with her, Bouchard convinced him to infect himself with the Chimeran virus, to which he did willingly. Leaving him behind in the entrance to delay Grayson, Raine started her mutation into the Chrysalis, with Grayson having discovered the tattered remains of her clothes near the entrance of the lair before killing Mallery.
By the time Grayson had killed The Mother and infected the facility's womb with the serum, Raine had fully mutated into a Hag-like creature. Deeming herself the Chrysalis, a confused Grayson was forced to fight her as she began attacking him with psycho-kinetic attacks. Additionally, with her mutation, she gained an near-invulnerability to normal bullets, the ability to develop a psychic shield and was somehow able to maintain Raine's mind, not unlike Daedalus.
After a long and arduous battle, Grayson was finally able to cripple the Chrysalis. Engaging in a brief conversation with Raine, she told him that despite the deaths of Carriers, the Chimera had managed to adapt, with Spinners developed to take their place. Mentioning how the Chimera are simply too advanced and will continue to evolve despite setbacks, she tells him that the Chimera have also taken over other worlds apart from Earth. Succumbing to the infection, Grayson apologizes to Raine, and pulls out his pistol to mercy-kill her, echoing the eerily similar situation when he had to kill his brother.
With the tower destroyed and the Chrysalis dead, Chimera forces in Western Europe begin collapsing, not unlike the aftermath of Operation Morning Star. Regardless, Bouchard's message to Grayson proved true, as Spinners were used to devastating effect during the Chimeran invasion of the United States. Additionally, the Chimera had regrouped under the leadership of Daedalus, who began leading his forces to reactivate the tower network and establish a portal to the Chimeran homeworld.
The only way to puncture through The Chrysalis' shield is to activate one of the towers found throughout the stage. Only one will be active at a time, so the player must be careful since The Chrysalis has a fatal blue laser attack which will instantly kill the player. Also The Chrysalis' attacks are not the only threat. Two groups of 5-8 Assault Drones will also appear throughout the middle of the fight, while The Chrysalis hides in a location that the player cannot access.
- It is recommended that the player strafe, while opening fire with the Auger or Chaingun's shield activated. Or another solution is to use the Fareye FR-1 as the rifle could make her flee without giving her any chance to attack if the player use the Fareye's secondary fire function. Also, the player is awarded a skill point for using only the Fareye for the battle.
- Once a tower has activated, it will fire a laser that temporarily breaks its shield. The player is now free to fire away within this rather short period of time. After a certain amount of time, it will retreat to a location from which it cannot be fought. More drones will appear. Only after they are defeated will The Chrysalis re-appear. Repeat the process. When half of its health is drained, two armored Titans will appear instead of drones. Try to kill them from a comfortable distance before they attempt to close in and bash the player with melee attacks. When they are rather far, use the L206 LAARK's secondary fire to gain the upper hand. After this is done, switch to the Razor and deliver several charged blades. Keep in mind that they will ricochet off a surface and home in on any nearby enemies.
- After killing the enemies, The Chrysalis will reappear. Use any mixture of firepower while strafing to avoid The Chrysalis's deadly laser until she is finally defeated. The Longbow 1S-1K, acquired through getting all the Retribution Intel, can also puncture the Chrysalis' shield as it spares time by not having to circle around to turn on the lasers. This is definitely a weapon that is worth unlocking, as it will help the player unlock a skill point for defeating The Chrysalis in less than four minutes.
- The general environment in which the the battle between James Grayson and The Chrysalis is fought, is the same for the previous area in the Birthing Chamber. This is also where the player, must defeat The Mother, a oversized siren, completely submerged in some type of breathable fluid.
- Similair to Daedalus in Resistance 2, Chrysalis was the second main antagonist and only female characters in Resistance: Retribution.